Long-Term Care and Home-Based Services (HCBS)
Health First Colorado (Medicaid) may provide Home & Community Based Services (HCBS) to low-income individuals needing long term support services. These programs can help individuals remain in their homes by providing non-skilled services.
Individuals requiring nursing facilities or assisted living facilities may be eligible to receive financial aid.
Who is Eligible?
To qualify for Long Term and HCBS support services:
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must meet financial eligibility
- You must require long term care for one or more of the following conditions:
- Elderly, Blind or Disabled
- If you are between 18-64, you must have a physical disability
- If you are 65 and older, you must be determined to have a significant functional impairment
- Mental Health
- A person experiencing severe and persistent mental health needs that requires assistance with one or more Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
- Currently has or at any time during the past year leading up to the assessment has a diagnosed mental, behavioral or emotional disorder of sufficient duration to meet diagnostic criteria specified with the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM- 5)
- Has a disorder that is episodic, recurrent, or has persistent features, but may vary in terms of severity and disabling effects
- Has resulted in a functional impairment with substantially interferes with or limits one or more major activity.
- It does not include intellectual or developmental disorders or substance use disorders without a co-occurring diagnosis of a severe and persistent mental health need.
- Brain Injury (BI)
- Must be 16 years or older
- Must have a brain injury
- Brain injury occurred before 65th birthday
- Your diagnosis must fit within certain categories
- Elderly, Blind or Disabled
HCBS may provide non-skilled services to individuals in their home to assist with activities of daily living such as:
- Bathing and dressing
- Managing medications
- Meal preparation
- Light housekeeping
Long Term Care services may cover some of the cost of:
- Nursing facilities
- Assisted living facilities
Eligible recipients must contribute a portion of their income toward the room and board portion of their care when in nursing facility or alternative care facility placements.
How Do I Apply?
You can apply for benefits in one of the following ways:
- Visit Colorado PEAK to see if you are eligible and to apply online. Applications will be automatically submitted to the Las Animas County Department of Human Services.
- Pick up an application at our office located at 219 S Chestnut Street, Trinidad
- Request an application be mailed to you by calling (719)846-2276.
- Print an application and return by mail, fax or in person at the Las Animas County DHS office.
You may return the application by fax, mail, or in-person:
- Fax: 719-846-4269
- Mail to: Las Animas County DHS, 219 S. Chestnut Street, Trinidad, Colorado 81082
- Office Location: 219 S. Chestnut Street
Office Hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm