Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
The Y (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps, provides food assistance benefits to help low-income households buy the foods they need for good health.
Who is Eligible?
Eligibility is based on income. The total household income before any deductions must fall below a certain dollar amount to be eligible for SNAP benefits. The dollar amount will be determined by how many people are in your household.
- U.S. citizens and some non-citizens are eligible for SNAP benefits. Even if some members of the household are not eligible, household members who are eligible may still be able to get SNAP benefits.
- All individuals who apply for SNAP benefits in Colorado and who do not meet federal exemption criteria must register for work, accept an offer of suitable work and take part in the Employment First program.
- All household members applying for benefits should have a social security number or provide proof that they have applied for one.
- Electronic Benefit (EBT) cards are issued to a household for SNAP benefits. EBT cards are accepted at most grocery stores, where they can be used to purchase food.
- Double Up Food Bucks is offered by some participating markets and food retail stores, doubling the value of some SNAP benefits.
How Do I Apply?
You can apply for benefits in one of the following ways:
- Online using Colorado PEAK. Applications will be automatically submitted to the Las Animas County Department of Human Services.
- Pick up an application at one of our office located at 219 S. Chestnut Street, Trinidad
- Request an application be mailed to you by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 719-846-2276.
- Print an application and return by mail, fax or in person at the Las Animas County DHS office.
Choose an application to download and print:
Large Print Application
You may return the application by fax, mail, or in-person:
- Fax: 719-846-4269
- Mail to: Las Animas County DHS, 219 S. Chestnut Street, Trinidad, Colorado 81082
- In-person at DHS office located at 219 S. Chestnut Street, Trinidad
Office Hours are 7:30 am to 5:00 pm